banner ad

Beard Care Basics with Honest Amish

October 16, 2013 | By | 16 Comments

DISCLAIMER: This is a sponsored post brought to you by Honest Amish. The opinions are completely my own based on my own beard care techniques and my experience with Honest Amish products.

When I started looking at potential facial hair products to purchase, one of the first companies I came across was Honest Amish. A local beard club had mentioned them on Facebook a number of times so I thought I would give it a shot. Suffice it to say, I am huge fan of Honest Amish products, and I was honored they chose to advertise here on TitleBeard, both because I believe in their products and my readers can benefit from what they have to offer. Part of the ad campaign includes sponsored posts like these, the subject choices of which are mine own.

For this first sponsored post, I thought it fitting to highlight perhaps my favorite aspect of the Honest Amish brand; their all-encompassing product line, and how it can offer even new wearers of facial hair an introduction into beard care basics.

For purposes of this post, the beard care basics we’re going to cover are cleaning, conditioning and styling, and the Honest Amish products that can aid you at each of these stages. Honest Amish covers each of these categories with products available at affordable prices that I have personally used and can personally recommend.

Honest Amish Slick Beard Soap (two bars on the left) and Original Beard Soap (two bars on the right).

As I have stated previously, I am the kind of guy who feels compelled to wash my beard everyday. I don’t work outdoors or get particularly dirty everyday; I have an office job and spend most of my day behind a desk. However, especially as my beard has gotten longer (when I wake up it can be quite unruly), and given the fact that I take a shower everyday anyway, I wash my beard everyday.

Many wearers of facial hair advocate washing your beard only a couple times a week, to keep your beard healthy by not stripping oils from it. While I believe this is more of an old school way of thinking, it is not necessarily incorrect in its logic. The more you wash your beard, especially with traditional soaps and shampoos, the more oils you’ll strip out of it, and the drier and unhealthier it becomes, leading to split ends and weaker hairs, which make your beard appear less dense.

However, the need to wash less presumes that you would only use traditional soaps and shampoos (and no post-washing conditioning products) on your beard. With the advent of beard specific soaps, wearers of facial hair do not have to sacrifice beard-cleanliness for beard health. Honest Amish offers an excellent beard soap, in three different scents that coordinate with the scent of the waxes. My personal favorite is the Slick Beard Soap.

The Slick Beard Soap lathers well and has a pleasing scent. Each bar weighs approximately 5-6 ounces, which is about twice the size of many traditional soap bars. The soap also functions extremely well as a body soap, but you can prolong the life of it for an extremely long time by using it only as a beard/face soap. If you do choose to buy it, I would also recommend investing a couple bucks in a soap tray as the tray will allow the bar to fully dry out between uses which also serves to prolong the life of the soap.

I spend a fair amount of time washing my beard. After working up a good lather, I work the soap all through my beard, from the hair closest to the skin out to the tips, at all different angles to make sure all the hairs are washed. Honest Amish Slick Beard Soap does not strip the oils out of my beard, even with daily use, and it offers solid cleansing with a great (but not overpowering) scent.

A bar of the Slick Beard Soap (and other varieties) comes in at $6.50 (plus shipping – unless you take advantage of the special code for TitleBeard users – see below for the code).

Honest Amish Original Beard Balm (top and left) and Heavy Duty Beard Balm (right) in the new 4 oz. tins.

Cleaning is the first step, but only the first step. Even if you clean your beard on a regular basis with a solid soap like the Slick Beard Soap, I highly recommend a conditioning product to help keep your beard healthy. When I say “conditioning product”, I do not mean a traditional liquid conditioner. Honest Amish offers three varieties; Beard Balm, Heavy Duty Beard Balm, and Unscented Beard Balm.

The benefit of a leave-in conditioner like the various beard balms Honest Amish offers is that that mix of oils and ingredients work to strengthen your hairs and replaced any oils lost through the cleaning process, in addition to softening and taming your beard, even moisturizing your beard if it is particularly dried out.

Application is easy – you simply scoop or scrape out a small amount of the beard balm, rub it between your hands to liquefy it, and then work into your beard.  I tend to start on the underside of my beard, working my fingers out to the ends of the hair, and then once I’ve covered it from the underside, lightly run my hands along the outside of my beard to give it the shape I want for the day.   The Heavy Duty Beard Balm does offer a slightly stronger hold.

If you have a shorter beard, I would say 4 inches or less, you may not need any products after the balm.   But again, do not be afraid to experiment.  When I first bought products from Honest Amish, I purchased the Original Beard Balm and Slick Wax, because I wanted to make sure I could achieve the groomed look I wanted to present to my legal clients.  It did not disappoint.

I have not yet tried the Unscented version, but I do not feel the need to.  I like the natural scent of both the Original and Heavy Duty Beard Balm.  If I had to pick one, I think given the current length of my beard, I would stick with the Original.  However, if I started the process all over again, until my beard hit 4-5 inches, I would likely use the Heavy Duty, because the extra hold it offers could likely negate the need for further styling products.  But if you want to make sure to maintain the shape of the beard the beard balm gives you, read on to find out more about the wax.

A two ounce tin of any of the beard balms runs $14.50 (plus shipping – unless you use the special code below). However, Honest Amish now offers four ounce tins of the Original Beard Balm and Heavy Duty Beard Balm for $25.50 before shipping. If you have tried Honest Amish before and like either of these beard balms, do yourself a favor and get the larger size; it is much more cost efficient. If you are not sure, try one of the smaller tins – even the smaller tins give you an amount that will last a while at an affordable price.

Honest Amish Slick Beard Wax (left and right) and Original Beard Wax (Center)

Honest Amish Slick Beard Wax (left and right) and Original Beard Wax (Center)

Finally, we have the styling category of products.  But in terms of beard care basics, I am not referring to the type of beard freestyling you may see at beard competitions, but simple styling for the day-to-day wearing of facial hair.

Honest Amish offers three different beard waxes, Slick Beard Wax, Original Beard Wax, and Extra Grit Beard Wax.

For those familiar with moustache waxes, a good beard wax typically has a much softer consistency and offers less hold. However, this is precisely what you are looking for in a beard wax. Unless you are doing a more aggressive style or freestyle design, a beard wax is simply the finishing product used to maintain the shape you give your beard with your conditioning product of choice.

Slick Beard Wax is a TitleBeard favorite. It offers an all-day, natural looking hold. Original beard wax does have a slightly stronger hold which can be useful in “training” your beard hairs to lay a certain way; a useful technique that can give your beard a look of uniformity in how the hairs lay. Extra Grit Wax is not an “extra hold” wax; it does offer a minimal hold, but the additional ingredients tat provide the “grit” are meant to help further condition your beard. The Slick Beard Wax has a fresh, spicy scent; the Original wax has strong clove notes, and the Extra Grit smells strongly like black licorice.

My preferred wax application method is similar to how I apply the beard balm. I use my thumbnail to scrape out an amount of wax slightly larger than a pea. I coat my palms and inside of my fingers with the wax and then start on the underside of my beard and work the wax in. Afterwards, I lightly run my hands all around the outside of my beard to give it shape, and I also work some of the beard wax through my moustache to keep it out of my mouth. Throughout the process, I sometimes get more wax, if needed. But especially if you have a shorter beard, I encourage you to start with less – you can always go back and add more if needed.

I prefer the Slick Bead Wax because it does offer a light hold, but not so much that my beard looks excessively styled. It lasts throughout the day but doesn’t prevent my beard from moving naturally with my face.

A two ounce tin of any blend is available for $12.95 (before shipping costs) from the Honest Amish Etsy shop.

For more information on Honest Amish, be sure to Like their Facebook page and check out their full product line on Etsy.

The best part is that Honest Amish’s ad campaign with TitleBeard comes with a benefit to readers and friends of TitleBeard – use the code TITLEBEARD to get FREE domestic shipping on ALL orders over $25.00. That means you can get the full facial hair care line mentioned above (with the 2 oz size of the balm) shipped to you for just $33.95.

Try Honest Amish all natural and organic products, “The Best For Your Beard!”

Share Button

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Facial Hair, Featured, My Beard, Product Review

Comments (16)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Naresh says:

I’m just in my initial stage of beard growth….and I have short beard which gets curly as it grows….so which one wud u suggest me to hold as well as to enhance its growth…

• Title Beard says:

Thanks for your question. I used beard balms almost exclusively until I hit the one year mark with my beard. The addition of beeswax in the balms gives you a little more control than a beard oil and will help you train your beard (with balm application and brushing) to lay the way you want.

You could try either the regular Honest Amish beard balm, or if you think you’d need some extra hold, then get the Heavy Duty version – both are great balms and exceptionally easy to apply. You can also use the code TitleBeard15 to get 15% off your purchase.

Hope that helps!

2. I recently purchased the 2 ounce tin of the Honest Amish beard balm… this stuff is awesome. I love how soft an shiny it makes my beard. As the reviewer above said I picked it because it had the most as well as highest star rating on Amazon… glad I went with it.

• Title Beard says:

Thanks for your comment, Corey! Glad you’re enjoying the beard balm. Honest Amish products have always been some of my favorites.

3. Jarrad says:

I know it’s been awhile since any questions have been asked, but after reading I’m kinda scratching my head about the beard wax.

I have a full curly beard, with curls stretched out its about 8-10 inches, but usually curls up to about 4-6. I’ve only used the extra grit beard wax and ordered it think it had the most hold.

What was would have the best hold for wanting to take some of the curl out. Usually I have to comb and blowdry my beard to keep if from tangling up, then I add the extra grit wax. Are the other wax stronger hold.

• Title Beard says:

My apologies for the delay in my response.

I understand thinking that the Extra Grit beard wax would have the most hold, but it actually has the least. In my experience, the Honest Amish Original Beard Wax has the most hold, then Slick, then Extra Grit.

I’d suggest going about the routine you mentioned, but with two small changes. 1) Get the Original beard wax and use that instead of Extra Grit, and 2) put the wax into your beard and brush it through before blow drying. Then slowly brush it again while drying your beard with the blowdryer on low heat. The brushing will help distribute the wax throughout your beard as will the drying on low heat. But the drying on low heat with the wax already applied will also help to train your beard to keep it a little bit straighter.

I’d recommend trying that daily for a while and seeing if that helps it be less curly.

Good luck!

4. Christopher Peno says:

I just came across your thread on the honest amish merchandise and I have to say i think its great. the only question that I have is that I work outside for at least 12-13 hrs a day in the heat/cold. Do you think this would helo out or should I go for something different?

• Title Beard says:

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for reading, and for your comment. As far as your question goes, I think some Honest Amish products could definitely help out, and I would lean towards applying their Original Beard Balm or Heavy Duty Beard Balm before work. The heavier consistency of the balms, particularly the Heavy Duty version, will give you some extra hold as well as keeping your beard healthy with the exposure to the extreme temperatures.

Because of being in the heat/cold for so long, I would also recommend a second application of the balm (or the Honest Amish beard oil) before you go to bed as well, to make sure that your beard gets some extra conditioning throughout the night. This will make sure your beard is at it’s healthiest all the time.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to let me know.

5. Dale says:

Good info in the article. I’ve been reading about the different Honest Amish products, but I’m slightly perplexed. Currently, I have about a 1.5″ beard. Do I need to use a leave-in conditioner and wax at the same time or is it better to use one, but not the other?

• Title Beard says:

Thanks for reading, and for your question. If you’re only going to use one product, given the length of your beard I would try the Honest Amish Heavy Duty Beard Balm. That will condition your beard and the Heavy Duty has just a little bit more hold to it than their Original Beard Balm, so it will keep your beard a little more tame.

However, if you’re finding the taming effect is not enough to keep your beard under control as much you’d like, I would suggest then adding in one of their waxes – either Slick, or Original. Out of the waxes, the Original has slightly more hold than the Slick.

With the length of your beard, I wouldn’t say you “need” both now, but I think you’ll find as your beard gets longer, you may desire more control, and that’s where the wax would be helpful.

If you choose to use both – and there’s nothing wrong with that, I do it often myself – apply the balm after showering and drying your beard. Allow it to set for a few minutes, and then apply the wax to give your beard the shape you want for the day.

Also – in case you didn’t catch one of my recent posts, you can get 15% off any order over $10 in the Honest Amish Etsy store (click on the ad in the right sidebar) and use the code TitleBeard15 when checking out.

6. Pat Dickerson says:

I have used every type of bar soap from Honest Amish and I like them all. They work well, do not dry out my beard and have great aromas. The beard balm also works great. I have been adding product to my beard for almost 2 years. Honest Amish was the first line I purchased. It’s also been the last.

• Title Beard says:

Thanks for your comment, Pat! I’m quite a big fan of Honest Amish products myself. They were some of the very first I encountered and remain part of my daily regimen.

7. Adam Breckenridge says:

Thank you for your post! I have a question. If I use a balm to condition and then a wax to style, what about mixing the smells of the two? You said you use the balm and slick wax. Have you had any issues with blending the aromas?

• Title Beard says:

Hey Adam,

Thanks for your question! In my experience, all Honest Amish products have very distinct but complementary aromas. I’d say I use the slick wax after the balm about 50% of the time and I’ve never had any issues with blending aromas.

In my experience, the wax ends up being the more prominent smell. If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to comment, or feel free to email me at TitleBeard[at]

8. Title Beard says:

Thank you for your comments – I hope the Honest Amish products treat you well. Would love to hear what you think of them after you’ve had some time to use them.

9. Ervin Hannah says:

My beard is only about an inch long, but is very gray and gray hairs are very wirerey. So, after all my research for some oils and balms, this product has the best reviews, so I ordered some today